Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Vintage-y Family Sign Display

I've wanted to make a family sign for awhile now. I was going to get a wooden sign and paint it, but then I found this awesome tray at the Dollar Tree and was inspired to use it to make my sign. At first I had another use for it in mind, but after looking at it I decided that it would be perfect. Pretty much everything in this "vignette" is all new/revamped. Let me tell you what I did, 'kay?

The tray came home solid silver. I painted it with one thin coat of brown acrylic paint, followed by three coats of Kilz semi gloss in "Antique White". I then took sandpaper and sanded it down, to expose the silver and brown undercoat, giving it a "worn" look.

The pillar candleholder was a garish, tarnished gold when it came home from the thrift store. Three coats of the same Kilz paint had it looking good. This is ceramic, and the paint adhered wonderfully. You can see the corner of a picture frame in the shot. Super cute frame, from the Dollar Tree. Cute scroll work embellishments in the corner, ugly brown to begin with. I painted it with one coat of Kilz, followed by a light coat of metallic brown glaze. Then I took sandpaper to it, distressing it slightly.

I used my scrapbooking stamps to stamp out the lettering on the sign, it turned out perfectly. I just finished it off with a light coat of matte acrylic sealant to keep it protected. The finial looking thingy is also from the Dollar Tree. Came home this funky, mottled brown and I spray painted it solid semi-gloss brown and then used the same metallic glaze that I did with the picture frame.

I left the reverse side of the finial solid brown for versatility. I am over the moon happy with how this all turned out. It cost under $10 for what was bought new (tray, picture frame, finial, pillar holder and glaze). It only took a few days start to finish (including drying time for everything). I'm so happy with the overall look, including the chippy cabinet top that it's all displayed on. The only thing I want to do is update the pictures in the frame that's hanging on the wall.

Linking up to the following,

giveaways

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



Making

DIY Day @ ASPTL



11 comments:

  1. Love your display! As always you just delight me with your Dollar Store and budget designs. They always look like a million bucks :)

    Stop on by, I have good news for you... :)

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your WIN!!! that's nice! I love that family plate!! do you have an etsy store?? do you sell any of your things? great ideas you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so pretty and tres shabby chic! And I have that same dollar store frame too! Gotta love the Dollar Store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is fabulous! I love what you did with all of your great finds. Thanks for sharing!! Found you through Tatortots and Jello. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great projects! I have got to start checking out the dollar store and stock up on some paint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Following you from Funky Junks Saturday Nite Special!
    Come by for a visit!
    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soo cute! I bought the same tray and used chalkboard paint on mine. Yours is very cool! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The vignette is lovely! The sign came out wonderful! You did a beatufiul job. Everything looks wonderful!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is such a cute idea! I would love for you to link up to check me out saturdays www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out so cute! I have a few of those trays around here somewhere. Great idea!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my party! I really appreciate it!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

I treasure your comments!