Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bevy of Beautiful Birdies

So in going with the trend, my house has lots of little birds living in it right now. Until a few months ago, the only birds in my house were the roosters in my kitchen. Not any more. Now there's a yellow duckie in my bathroom, a new rooster friend in my kitchen and two little birdies have made a home in my living room.

They all were kinda blah and boring when they came here, so I "bathed" them in some paint and how cute and cheery they became! Much better. Let me share my bird bathing techniques with you so your little birdies can sparkle too!

This little guy came to us from the Dollar Tree. He was cute to begin with, blue and yellow feathers and these super cool metal wire legs/feet. However I thought he could be even more special. So I bathed him with a coat of Kilz semi-gloss in "Antique White" and glazed him with a 3/1 paint to water solution. I used acrylic nutmeg brown paint to make the glaze. I think that all cleaned up he looks great, his new top matches his cute little bottom much better.

The rooster also came home to us from the Dollar Tree. He was this yicky pale yellow with a dingy brown coat of dust all over him. Not very pretty, but don't tell him because I don't want to hurt his feelings!

I "bathed" his feathers in some Color Place spray paint in "Fire Red" and then glazed him with a bit of acrylic metallic brown glaze. Much better. He looks right at home with the other rooster fellows that are already calling my kitchen home.

This little gal also came home with us, she too was lonely and neglected at the Dollar Tree. She was a homely little thing, she looked so pale and sad when she got home. I first learned of her plight by seeing what another lady had done with her little birdie that she brought home here.

To "bathe" her I mixed up some white and grey acrylic paint and painted her a really light grey. Then I mixed some white and metallic green acrylic paint and gave her a "mottled" overcoat. I wanted her beautiful feathers on her wings to really shine, and I think they do now. She was so special that she needed a very special "nest", so I found a special transferware saucer and she now calls it home. In fact, she loves it so much she never leaves!


Linking up the the following,


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


Keeping It Simple

Making

11 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! I really need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness girl, I love what you did. What a great idea...they look amazing..oh that red one...oh my!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with that!!!

    BTW.. let me know how you like the Potato Candy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how much I LOVE me a good flock of birdies! too cute :) I do believe that we have the same dollar store :)

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful birdies!!! I love their make-overs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those birdies are delightful. I scoured the dollar tree for some birdies...any birdies and could find none...so sad. I love what you have done with them.
    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute. I love birdies!

    I am featuring a necklace tutorial and giveaway. I'd love it if you stopped by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stunning. Love it so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I treasure your comments!