Saturday, January 8, 2011

Picture Perfect Barrette Holder

I made this for a little friend's birthday. She has many barrettes, but no place for them to call home. So after seeing all the cute barrette holders here and there in Blogland, I decided to make one. Here is the end result, not to shabby, right? Here's what I did.

I took a cheap black dollar store frame and gave it a basecoat of avocado green. I then used crackle medium followed by a coat of white paint. Then I gave it a light coating of matte sealant. I've never used the crackle medium before, that stuff is pretty cool. I can see lots of chippy stuff in my future.

I removed the glass completely, and then took the backer board and covered it with a layer of quilt batting. I then covered it with some green floral fabric and then chose three matching ribbons. After hot gluing everything in place I was pretty much done.

I decided to make a few quick barrettes to hang on the ribbons. I took some baby clippie barrettes from the dollar store and hot glued on some felt, followed by a few rhinestones. Easy, simple and pretty cute.

I took some sheer white ribbon and a bit of tulle and ran it through two eye screws I hot glued to the back of the frame as the hanger. That's it, very easy assembly actually. I am definitely making on of these for my daughter.

Please click on "Linky Parties I Love" to see where I'll be sharing this idea. Also linking up at this special "Celebrating Girls" month linky party here:
Keeping It Simple

And linking up for the first time at "fix it up friday" here:



What fun project do you have in the works?

8 comments:

  1. at present, the only project i have is going through my home, cupboard-drawer-closet, and weeding things out.

    THIS project of yours is amazing. truly.
    love it big time.

    jAne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a ribbon hanging in my daughter's room for her barrettes. It looks cute, but this is simply beautiful. I am definitely bookmarking this for a future project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an awesome project! Thanks for sharing! I'll have to borrow this one as I know of several little girls who need a more organized way of displaying their hair barrettes.

    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea and looks totally cute. I will have to remember this for when our baby girl arrives and starts wearing hair accessories.

    I would love to have you link this post to my new link party.

    http://blessingsoverflowing.blogspot.com/2011/01/fix-it-up-friday-peel-stick-vinyl.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking to my Fix It Up Friday link party. I hope you will link again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This project turned out so lovely! I've actually made several of these for baby shower gifts. I love the effect of the crackling medium! I will have to give that a try!
    Best Wishes,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

I treasure your comments!