Friday, October 22, 2010

Nature's Bounty Wreath

So, as you can see I found my camera, yipee!!! I put it back in a weird place. I need to have a dedicated spot for it so I don't have to go through that again, not fun.

So here's my latest project. I'm calling it "Nature's Bounty" wreath, like the title? I went to the dollar store yesterday and saw this wreath and this package of potpourri/filler stuff and immediately I thought it would make a great combo for a wreath. Let me show you what I did.

First off I primed the wreath and some of the decorative items. Everything in the bag was various shades of mud brown, so I wanted to vary it a bit. I used black primer (OSH brand) and did a light coat.

I used Rustoleum's hammered finish in "brown" for the wreath and some of the decorative items. I also painted a few of the items with some yellow and red spray paint I already had, but then lightly went over them with a coat of the hammered brown. I made sure the yellow and red faintly came through, not giving it a solid coat. The nuts I just covered with a very watered down glaze of metallic brown acrylic paint, for a barely there look.

To give the wreath some rigidity I took a plastic lunch meat container lid and hot glued it to the backside. I wanted to have a platform to help build off of and to have an area to glue to. I used the plastic lid as opposed to cardboard so it would stand up to the elements, as I don't have a covered porch.


Then I just started building the wreath. I wanted to cluster the items together and build it up instead of spreading it all over the wreath.


For the hanging ribbon, I used some brown ribbon and then tacked the gold sparkly ribbon to it with hot glue. I like how it turned out. Just a bit of glitz without taking away from the overall muted look.


Here's the view from my front porch. Very happy with the overall result. The wreath and all the decorative items were $2. I bought the primer and brown paint for $8, but only used a small portion of each so I have quite a bit left over for other projects. Both ribbons I already had as well, so I'm saying this wreath was well under $5 to make.

Please click on "Linky Parties I Love" to see where I'll be sharing my latest project!

5 comments:

  1. Heather,

    That turned out lovely and suits your front door - quiet and subtle.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tone on tone color scheme. This is simply cute!
    Happy Fall!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through Tatertots and Jello. I love this wreath, great job =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute thrifty wreath...thanks for sharing it at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

I treasure your comments!