Wednesday, October 27, 2010

From Spangled to Stately

I love decorative stars. They really have a nice impact. I've been on the lookout for one for awhile now. Not finding one that I liked or could afford, I decided to try and make one instead. Here's my finished product, let me tell you what I did. Oh, and did I mention it cost me $0.50 to make?




Ok, this is the "spangled" thing I started off with. A cheapie plastic 4th of July decoration. It was discounted at the dollar store, so I got it for $0.50. It's pretty hideous, isn't it?




I hit it with some matte black primer. I didn't get super fancy perfect for plastic primer either, the regular stuff worked just fine and covered it well. Just needed a light coat.



I finished it off with Rustoleum's "brown" in their hammered finish. I really like this stuff. It goes on well and has a somewhat textured finish, as you can see below. It also gives your project just the right touch of metallic sheen.

There are a few places where the black primer just so faintly shows through. I only used two really light coats of the brown and like how the black is just showing through here and there, gives it some pop in my opinion.

So, not bad for $0.50, right? I had all the paint and the little bit of ribbon I used for hanging on hand. Looks great, made one for my Mom too and I'm hoping she'll like it as much as I do!

Please click on "Linky Parties I Love" to see where I'll be sharing my project.

14 comments:

  1. That's neat. Wonder if you could do it in silver?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love this! I have been hunting high and low for a star that is cheap! I'll have to check the $ Store next time I am near one! I am a new follower! Thanks for joining my Saving Christmas Party

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheap barn stars at the dollar store... I'm going SHOPPING!!! :) Great eye and idea, girl! I'm all about stars.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome. Our $ Stores on the west coast all closed. But I LOVE the $ Tree. Thank you for the endless possibilities. Stars, Bells, Trays...the list is endless and I am obsessed right now!! Thank you for sharing. I need ideas like this to get me going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, blow me away....of course, paint them!!! YES!!!!! Grand idea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This .50 makeover looks great...lucky you to find it at the dollar store!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing. I don't think our $ store even had those ugly stars. You made it look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome idea!! I am so looking at those plastic stars in a new light now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It doesn't look like plastic at all to me! What a great job. I love the $1 store! LOVE IT!

    I hope you can join my necklace giveaway going on now!
    http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2010/11/rhonda-michaels-jewelry-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fabulous Heather!! I love it!

    Come and see my latest find, would love your comments, I will also have a new giveaway soon!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a great end product! I love the hammered finish too. Cant go wrong for .50cents!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is impressive! I never would have guessed what was "underneath"! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you have got to be kidding me!!! I just spend $35 on one!!!
    Im so jealous!

    ReplyDelete

I treasure your comments!