Thursday, July 15, 2010

Kitchen Drawer Shadowbox

I was at the Habitat Re-Store a few weeks back and happened across two old kitchen drawers, priced right at $2 each. They were sturdy, solid wood, big but not too big and had adorably chippy cloud blue paint on them. Home with me they went, not sure what to do with them but knew that they would make a good project.

I was reading one of my fave blogs Funky Junk Interiors (Donna is an inspiration, a repurposing guru) and it had a challenge on using old drawers for projects. Perfect, just what I was looking for! After looking at several link ups, I had an idea. BTW, if you want some more inspiration for uses for old drawers look at her blog
here .

Here's what I came up with. I took the drawer and painted the inside of it with my trusty Kilz in "Antique White". The "Home Sweet Home" is a vinyl decal that I picked up from Joann's for only $0.50!! I mixed up a few different colors of craft paint to come up with the brown that I used for the border.

I had bought this huge roll of beautiful vintage ribbon awhile back at my favorite thrift store. It's really thick, and it fit perfectly to line the inside of the drawer! I love how it looks, I am so glad I was able to use it here.

I took sandpaper and roughed up the edges pretty good, leaving it chippy and scratched up. I wanted it to look somewhat worn and aged.

I'm still playing around with the vignette for the inside. I do like the hanging silverware, almost reminds me of a mini chandellier. The silverware is a mix of my MIL's and an old vintage silver baby spoon my Mom gave me. I love the look of old and new. I'm kinda irked by the outline of the vinyl decal, so I will probably pull it off and cut it out with an exacto knife and reposition it. But for now it'll stay.

All in all, I'm excited with the results. $2.50 in new supplies, everything else I already had on hand. Please click on "Linky Parties I Love" on the right to see where I'll be sharing my latest creation.

10 comments:

  1. That is so cool I love it!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute and clever idea! Yours came out so nice. I can see this with a beach theme, or a bird's nest/spring theme or even use it for a Halloween vignette. Or Christmas! Now you've got me going, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I really truly need to go to our ReStore. I've never been - I want to but it is rather far away.


    This is adorable. You are on a roll girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. visiting from Funky Junk and had to comment. I really like the way you used the drawer! I have one that I have been wondering what to do with! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool little shadow box! I would have never thought of that! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute! come on over and link up to MMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, I love what you did with it!!

    So creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can see is the pictures, but they are enough~great project! It turned out really nice.

    Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cleaver idea. Love it. Thanks for sharing. karie @ karieschiccreations

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for joining us for another great Anything Related! ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete

I treasure your comments!