Friday, February 12, 2010

Skewer Sunburst Mirror

So, I love all the cool sunburst mirrors I've been seeing on various blogs. Really cute, love the fact that they can be DIY. So, decided to try it. I wanted mine to be a bit different though.

I wanted mine to have "beads" on it. I've seen them on actual honest to goodness vintage mirrors and really liked the look. Think it adds just a bit more to it. So, set out to figure out how to replicate it myself.

But let me go in order of how my pics loaded, okay? So this is what I did. I took an old CD (sorry Shawn Mullins, your days are over) and hot glued the skewers to it. When I was done, I took another CD and made a "sandwich" of sorts. Plus, you can use the hole in the CD as a hanger for your mirror. Super easy!

BTW, check out the wedding section at your local craft store for the mirrors. I found mine there, a two pack and they had beveled edges. They were packaged as "candle chargers". Less than $5 total for the two of them w/my handy dandy 40% off coupon.

To get the beaded look (if you want too), slide plastic pony beads onto the skewers. I used two different sizes, to vary the look a bit. I used jumbo skewers, so this worked really well and I didn't even have to hot glue the pony beads in place. You might have to use a bit of force to get the beads to slide, but it can be done. If the skewer is a bit long, you can cut the end off or leave it like I did.Before attaching the "skewer sandwich" to the mirror I spray painted it. Those skewers are thirsty and suck up the paint, so if you don't prime them (like I did) then you'll need several good coats. Also, the pony beads to need to be sprayed well so the colors don't show through. I didn't spray both sides completely as you can see but I did spray the beads from the front and back.

Total cost? Under $5! Used less than a pack of the skewers (from the dollar store), a few random pony beads (I raided my daughter's stash), the mirror was $2.5o and I used about 3/4 of a can of spray paint that was $1.97. Not bad at all I say!

Linking up for the first time to Funky Junk Interior's Saturday Night Special: http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

and to Kimba's DIY Tuesday: http://asoftplace.net/




giveaways

13 comments:

  1. Skewers and plastic pony beads? I would never have thought of that! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! Very clever!!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my party!!!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. Poor Shawn Mullins...at least it came in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool. COOL I tell ya! I'll be featuring it during SNS #18. :)

    Thanks for linking it up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopped over from Funky Junk Interiors...I was going to be starting on a Sunburst Mirror in the next few weeks. Your version looks great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw this featured at Funky Junk, missed it last week. Great project and very creative use of materials!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool! What was the finished size of this project? Its hard to tell from the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the delay in anwsering your ? Gaye, my entire household is battling RSV:( The overall dimension is approx. 24 inches in diameter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Heather,
    That is fantastic! I'm really impressed. I would never have guessed how you made that, it's very clever. I love those starburst mirrors.
    Drop by for a visit sometime!
    XO
    Heidi - Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive. I like to think I am resourceful but you have me beat by a mile. So creative. I want to see more.
    Pam @ Becolorful

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sunburst mirrors, and you really made a beauty! Way to find a use for all those cd's we all have laying around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really cool. I made one w/all mirrors, but love the beads! If I make one again, I'm borrowing your cd idea, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete

I treasure your comments!