Thursday, February 11, 2010

Personalized Art Kits for Kids

This Christmas, I made my daughter her very own personalized art kit. I took one of those prefab art kits for kids, the ones you find every holiday season at pretty much any store for around $5. They are great! I buy one every year, that is about how long they last.

I wanted to make it extra special this year, so I decided to personalize it for her. I took poster board and cut it to fit the front of the kit. I then took just a small amount of my huge stash of scrapbooking stuff and went to town. I wanted it to look girly and cute. Plus, with my daughter the pinker the better.

I made sure to write cute sayings and such to inspire the little artist in her. But, I don't need to inspire this kid much...she'd draw on any flat surface in the house if I'd let her.

I glued it all down to the poster board with a glue stick, then went over everything with a good layer of Mod Podge. Once dry, I finished off the border with some ric-rac and grosgrain ribbon. Then I used my hot glue gun and heavily glued the backside of it and attached it to the art kit.

If it makes it semi-intact 'till next Christmas I'll be thrilled. So far it looks ok, considering she's used it probably 20 times since she got it.

I bought several kits and have them set aside, I see some birthday gifts for a few of her friends being made by yours truly in the near future. That with a nice pad of drawing paper, what a great gift that'll definitely be used. I'm all about the consumable gift lately.

Linking up to Kimba's DIY Tuesday: http://asoftplace.net/


Linking up for the first time to "Strut Your Stuff Thursday" at Somewhat Simple:
giveaways
BWS tips button

5 comments:

  1. That's very cool ... I'll have to consider that for when my nieces get older. Right now, they'd rather crayon the walls ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of the consumable gift also. Don't our kids just have too much stuff! This is so super cute. I love it! The wheels in my head are turning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea. I love it! You are so clever!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my party!!!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea, I really like it! Not only is your daughter getting great supplies you're encouraging and modeling for her how cool creating can be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Thanks for linking up to Saving Christmas. I will be sure to try this for one of my kids this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I treasure your comments!