Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Barn Charm Birdhouse

I picked up a plain wooden birdhouse from the dollar bin at Joann's and transformed it to the above birdhouse. I think it's so cute, I am in love with barns and this reminds me of a birdie sized barn!

I took moss from the backyard, dried it out and glued it to the underside of the roof and in little clusters on top. The roof underneath is painted a russet brown and then has been given a light coat of metallic bronze glaze. The rims around the openings as well as the little perch have been painted olive green.

I also took some bronze colored flat glitter (not shiny) and sprinkled a bit on top here and there admist the moss. The wood is actually tanbark from the front yard planting beds! I just made sure to pick out pieces of wood that were strips to have them more closely resemble "planks".

The body of the barn is painted with a base coat of tapioca, then a coat of crackle glaze was applied. Once dried, I did a topcoat of oxide red and it dried to the lovely aged finished look. The base of the house as well as the roofline were painted complimentary shades of brown. I then used the same tanbark as I did on the roof to glue around the base of the house.


If my Momma likes it, it's hers. If not, I'll be keeping it for myself!


What do you think, does it look like a barn? I hope so! Please click on, "Linky Parties I Love" to see where I'll be sharing my latest project.

6 comments:

  1. I think it looks like a barn - I like how the crackle glaze worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is *very* sweet!
    you should do a class
    for us less than creative
    types.

    or at the very
    least, a tutorial on your
    blog.

    big smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so adorable. It really looks like it's old and not made to look that way.

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birds will be racing to be the first to build a nest inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so adorable. It looks like it's been around for ages with all the moss and bark you used. It sure looks like an old barn to me. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I treasure your comments!