Friday, July 9, 2010

Glass Shade Garden Lantern

So I happened along this awesome molded glass shade when I was at the Habitat Re-Store a few weeks ago, I paid a whopping $0.10 for it! It's heavy and I love the chunkiness to it. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I couldn't pass it up. I was looking at a magazine the other day and came up with the idea to hang it outside.

At first I wasn't sure how to hang it, but then I remembered that I had some wire I had bought for another project and decided to try it. Just simple 26 gauge wire from the hardware store, nothing fancy. It worked!

I just took the wire and wrapped it several times around the shade. This worked because as you can see from the picture, the shade had a lip around it to hold the wire in place. When looking for a shade, keep in mind that you'll want one with a lip. I then left enough slack to rig up a "hook" and just slipped it over the tree branch. Easy as pie!

I'm really happy with the look, I think it blends in nicely as well as stands out in the tree/bush I hung it in. I've not really seen the sun hit it right on yet, but when I do I bet it'll look beautiful! It would also look great with a lit tea light, but I wouldn't use a candle larger than that unless you knew you had a tempered glass shade (which most aren't).

Please click "Linky Parties I Love" on the right to see where I'll be sharing this inexpensive and easy idea.

19 comments:

  1. Cool idea! I'd also be sooo tempted to put a candle in it. But you can now get battery operated tea lights too. I'd like about 4 of those for my patio!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea! I bet it will be gorgeous when the sun shines directly on it!

    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I bet when the sun hits it, it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really great idea!!! you could even put tea lights in at night! Love lighting in the trees on warm summer nights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really pretty! What a great idea.. I love old molded glass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to repurpose that shade! I've been wanting to do something similar - so I'm glad I could see how you used your wire. It's SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So classy! What a great decor piece for your yard:)
    Visiting from Justsewsassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. great idea! I'm regretting getting rid of the one I bought that didn't fit our lamp.

    Coming over from All Thingz Related.

    Brittany
    http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never have thought of that! You have my wheels turning now! Thanks for helping us have another great Anything Related! ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love a few mismatched globes hanging in the trees. And if not available yet I am sure soon there will be solar tea lights to use in them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat! I just found out about those Habitat re-Stores and can't wait to visit one myself.
    This would make a fun hanging vase too - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes!! I don't know how I missed this. I love how it looks in the tree/bush - you are right it stands out but blends in just perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I featured this in my Creative High party this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great idea...one of our light fixtures had to be replaced but I still have the old globes from it...I could totally do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea. I would love some of these hanging on my back porch. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did this with the globes from our old farm house I have used sand and water to steady tea light candles. I LOVE the way the light fractures when it shines through the cut glass!

    ReplyDelete

I treasure your comments!